Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cowboy Boots

It has been over a year since I arrived in the Lone Star state yet I am amazed when I see someone out in cowboy boots. And not the typical Melrose short Grecian dress, cowboy hat, long beaded necklace and maybe a cut-off denim jacket way of wearing cowboy boots. And not in the sense of it's my birthday let's go to Saddle Ranch have a couple of hunch punches and ride the bull way either. I mean let me get up put on a pair of dress slacks and nice crisp collar shirt and tie and a pair of my best I wrangle cattle boots and start my day.

I remember being in Costco one Saturday afternoon after having a little wine while at lunch with a friend a seeing a rather old man in a t-shirt with his Wrangler jeans tucked into his....you got it, cowboy boots. And no one thought this was odd but me. And maybe it was the wine, but I could not help but laugh hysterically with tears streaming down my face and all. It took everything in my power not to take a picture of him and blast him on the Internet.

I know I am in the land of cattle, Dr. Pepper and backyard (piss)beer and I have learned to except that. I have even given into the philosophy of when in Rome...... But I can not get over the boots. What do they symbolize and why is it a fashion trend that Texans won't let go of? Only in Dallas can you be sitting in the Living Room Bar of the W Hotel with all of its black suits, couture martinis and trendiness only to look up and see JR. Ewing circa 2008 ordering and shot of Johnny Walker Blue Label or be sitting at a table at Kirby's only to see a group of men with their ten gallon hats sitting in the chairs next to them. I remember reading the book Bridges of Madison county and Francesca commenting that there were no more real cowboys left. Well maybe there aren't any left in Iowa, but Texan men sure have held on to the tradition of big belt buckles pick-up trucks and the infamous pair of cowboy boots.

Heee haaawwww, lets all go to Gilly's!!!!


j

2 comments:

  1. It could be worse - at least they aren't carrying blue jeans purses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA, I love the blur jean purses. OK, why did I see a purse made odf panties.

    j

    ReplyDelete