Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

This morning I spoke to my mother during her morning commute as I do 3 to 4 days out of the week about random events, family etc. But this morning, her voice was weak and she was surely emotional. She told me that she sat on the side of her bed this morning before getting dressed and cried almost without ceasing. Today is a day of CHANGE for sure. And although it could be a milestone for women having the first female Vice President elected to office, my mother was emotional because today could be the day the voting citizens of the US elect the first African American President to office.

During our entire conversation, all she said the whole time we talked was how she wished Ed Ward (my grandfather) was alive to see this day. Ed Ward, the man who opened his home to voters and had “polling” in his living and dining room, who made sure I voted for every election from the time I turned 18 until he died and instilled in me a belief that my vote was my voice and the most powerful way to be heard. A man who knew what is was like to not be counted as equal. And even though he himself was half Irish, he was not light enough to pass like many of his siblings so he was often times passed over. He always believed that there was a power in your vote that could create CHANGE.

As I talk to more and more people from my moms generation and read various posts online, be it black or white who are open to the ever so popular concept of CHANGE Sen. Obama has ignited the country with, many of them are astounded that this day is really here and that the possibility is closer than ever. For those who lived during the civil rights era and were able to see the division and unity it caused a day like today is one that was probably hoped for, but never seen as a reality. On the other hand, many people who were born in the late 70's early 80's just always knew we needed someone other than Jesse Jackson to represent us, but the idea of there being a Black president in the white house was definitely more than just a notion. I think having minorities whether they are classified by gender or ethnic make-up as candidates in this year’s election is surely a sign that the people of American are ready for CHANGE. The good ol' way of doing things is not the way we want them done.

Please let your voice be heard and get out and vote and adding your comments, cares and concerns to this blog post.

1 comment:

  1. I was at an Obama party when the election took place... and when he gave his acceptance speech I remember the room falling silent. Now.. this was a swanky party and there were all races there, so it was interesting to see the various reactions people would have. I promised I wouldnt cry... but as I looked around the room and saw all of these races.. women and men, having the exact same look on their face as I did, I broke down. For the first time in my life, I didnt see color.

    It's because Barak being a BLACK man.. claiming such a victory for a BLACK human being, makes this victory TRANSCEND RACE! I am saying the same thing you are Jazzy, about loved ones not being here to see this... so your not alone with that, we arent alone. Only thing we can do is take advantage of this inspiration and new leadership just as they would've..

    B.Obama becomming president and pushing the idea of change, has forced me to do the same on a internal level. I'm very excited for all of us in this new time!

    ReplyDelete